2013-03-01

I think I'm in a Love Hotel


[2013.02.22]

I slept like carp the night before my flight, mainly because I was up till 3 repacking my bags.  They felt to heavy I was afraid both of them would be overweight and cost me a small fortune, so I went through and took out stuff I didn't think I'd need for work and some of the more summery clothes.  It was quite a sight to see actually, it's 3 in the morning and Kira and I were playing scale with my suitcases, trying to guess if they were over 50 pounds or not.  And they were still super heavy, but oh well!

Of course with my luck, neither of them were overweight, I was about 5-6 pounds under on both of them, so I could have kept most of the stuff I took out...

I got to the gate (OMG there were so many military people in the international terminal) and to my surprise there were quite a lot of people going to teach in Korea there.  So we all spent the next 2 hours waiting for the train talking.  There were a couple of people who were coming back for another year to teach, so they were giving us some helpful tips!  Also met someone who formerly taught at Avalon, he had a couple of bad experiences with them but overall like it.

So apparently, I found out I wasn't the only one who had a hard time with the Korean Consulate in Chicago.  A couple of other people went to them too and also had a hell of a time getting their visas.  One girl actually had her recruiting company file a complaint to them, cuz the consulate wasn't being helpful at all.  I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one!

So while everyone else was all in the back of the plane I was in the front, due to getting my flight booked less than 24 hours in advanced.  But I ended up sitting next to a lady who was going back to Korea for a second year.  Then some guy who wanted a window seat really bad took the open seat next to me, which made me sad cuz I was going to take it to have more room to stretch out, he was actually kinda creepy.  He kept stepping on my feet through the whole flight and I swear got up ever half an hour to go to the bathroom...I'm pretty sure he also managed to play Packman for about 10 hours of the 13 hour flight!  O.O

BUT WAIT!

The airplane, OMG!  I've never flown on such a cool airplane before!  No matter where I fly to next I'm taking Asiana from now on!!!  There were plug for each seat, actual plus to charge your laptop or phones with.  There were tons of moves to watch; I attempted to watch a Japanese movie with Korea subtitles, but it didn't end very well.  And did I mention the USB ports next to the TV, you could hook up a flash drive or an external hard drive and watch what you have on the TV!  They also had an Alice Nine album in the music section too!!!  Of all the popular Japanese groups that usually show up Alice Nine was with them, there wasn't even any Arashi or KAT-TUN on there!  And a JJ Lin album too~

For our first meal I got the Bibimbap!  It was amazing, I put so much hot chili paste on it.  Which when you only have an itty-bitty glass of water proves to be a bit of a bad idea... The meals when you fly to Asia are always surprisingly good.  Also had my first of many meal-accompanying Kimchi, gotta love the Kimchi!  <3  I wanted to take a picture, cuz Bibimbap always looks so fun, but I didn't have my camera out in time...
I tried to sleep, but couldn't, surprise surprise...I managed to nod off a little, but it was literally nodding, every time I felt like I was about to sleep my head nodded and I woke up.  So I gave up and watched a move, and out of all the movies they had what did I pick *drum roll* Yeongashi, something I've already seen at least 2 times!  YAY!

After that was over I tried playing some of the games, but there is only so much Sudoku you can play.  So I got out my book, and right away it broke my brain...The first 4 pages are a Irish pronunciation guide...I made it about 2 lines into the book before gave up and found a "Finger-tip Massage Relaxation" video to watch, it did wonders for my aching eyes and legs.  I tried sleeping again, and think I managed about half an hour or so, I know it wasn't long, but it felt better than what I got the first try.

For the second meal I got the Korean meal again, mainly cuz chicken on airplanes never turns out well.  I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I thought I heard the flight attendant mention something about 'dokk'.  But whatever it was it pretty good.  There was a baby bokchoi and some spicy onions, cabbage, and octopus...As much as I'm willing to try octopus every time I'm confronted by it, an airplane is one place I don't think I will!  So the Octopus remained untouched.

I was bored so I brought the flight map up again and, I know this will make a lot of people relieved to know this, we were come south over China a straight line for Incheon but then went out of our way to avoid North Korea like the plague.

After food and that wee nap, I spent the rest of the flight reading, I really like this book!  Thank you Emi for getting it for me!

---

[2013.02.23]

Got off the plane, got through customs in no time, got my bags (plopped out one right after another, after s short wait), found my driver, and waited to leave.  Met up with a couple of people from Adventure Teaching and we talked for a bit while we waited for the last person to get there.  There's another girl who's in BunDang, so while I'm there I know someone already.

One of the crosswalks I've seen on dramas and pictures so many times!

It's finally sinking in that I'm here in Korea!  Even on the flight it didn't really feel like it, could have been cuz I was so tired for most of it, but walking outside I think it finally began to feel like I'm really here!


I got dropped off at my hotel called Hotel ON (I'm not actually sure where I am right now, cuz I thought I'd been in BunDang, but I'm only maybe about half way from the airport and BunDang...It started with a 'wi-something').  DANG is this a nice hotel, I'm on the tenth floor and this is the nicest room I've ever stayed in!
I think I'm in a love hotel...

There are a few things pointing me to this conclusion; there are 2 slippers (one smaller than the other), 2 robes, his and her lotions, soap, body spray, there's a mirror on the ceiling, and in my little welcome package

I got there were 2 toothbrushes and a condom...


This is either a love hotel or a very nice and accommodating hotel.

Anyways, I was just about to leave to looks around of a convenience store when I got a call that I had a package waiting for me.  So I went down and got my package from The Arrival Store.  It wasn't really all that heavy, but the guy working in the hotel carried it up for me.  He was having fun trying to pronounce my last name.  I got it pushed into my room and set out to look around [insert name of area that I'm in] and find myself some dinner.


Right off the bat I found a convenience store, but I wanted to look around for a bit and breath the night air after being cooped up in the airplane for so long.  One thing I love about Korea is there are so many colorful neon light signs for everything!  It makes everything so exciting.  I walked past a few delicious looking restaurants, but since I was exhausted and my body sore I went back to the convenience store.


I have a feeling this might become a familiar looking meal.  And there is a very good reason why there is fire on the Ramen label...

BANANA MILK!  I had to try it!  And it's not bad.  It takes a little getting used to.  It's not all that refreshing, but it's very sweat and I like it.

While I was eating I got out my new temp phone to play with and looked at the other goodies I get from TAS.  It's going to be super fun moving into my apartment with all my stuff plus a big box.

Oh BTW, I can tell you already that I'm so going to love the heated floors!  I almost fell asleep on the floor last night rather than my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment